Bagpipe Satire in History
Originally Published December 2011.
Bagpipe Satire in History
Bagpipes in humor is nothing new, so just for fun I thought I would take a quick look at satirical representations of bagpipes through the centuries.
The devil using Martin Luther’s head as a bagpipe from the 16th century.
A fool dancing to the devil’s bagpipe. Probably 16th century.
A caricature of the Pope as a donkey playing pipes by Lucas Cranach. The caption reads:
‘The pope alone can interpret Scripture and sweep
away misapprehension in the same way that a donkey alone can play the bagpipes and get the notes right’. Dated 1545.
An ox playing the pipes from a 16th century German book of satirical fables.
“A drunken woman seducing a bagpipe player” 16th century painting by
Jan Sanders van Hemessen or Pieter Huys.
An 18th century caricature ‘The Scotch Wedding’ artist unknown.
1886 “Punch” cartoon lampooning Scottish home rule with Gladstone playing the pipes.
And finally an interesting general collection of bagpipes in art.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Fine-quality, knee-high black leather boots; approximately 18 inches high
- Leather is soft, sturdy, and durable — crafted for all-day wear at a festival or event
- Sizes 5-13 available in whole sizes. They wear a bit larger, so if you typically wear a half-size, these should do the trick
- Pair with an ancient-style or modern kilt, the hiking-boot insole is the only deviation from a traditional Renaissance-style black leather boot
We try to keep these in stock, but if your size is out of stock please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.
- The Bollock Dagger it suggests male anatomy and was traditionally used as a peasant utility knife in Scotland from the 1300s (similar to a dirk)
- It comes with a 7-inch stainless steel blade that measures 12 inches overall with a real wood handle
- Customize by upgrading to a good-quality black or brown leather sheath
- Add an interesting (if slightly bawdy) part of history to your collection. It also works as a fun conversation starter
- Phillabeg Made in the USA
- US Air Force Tartan Woven in Scotland
- 100% Premium Wool
- Light or Medium Weight Tartan
- Thin, Breathable Fabric
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Medium Weight for Crisper Pleats
- 4 yds, (fits up to a 34in waist)
- 5 yds, (fits up to a 44in waist)
- 6 yds, (fits up to a 50in waist)
Custom-made just for you! Please allow 6-12 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about custom-order items.
- These authentic Tartan Stockings are perfect for the holiday season! Beautifully lined and made by us in-house with authentic tartan
- These custom tartan stockings are sure to brighten your mantle this holiday season.
- Hand-made in the USA Poly/Viscose hypoallergenic tartan for the stocking with 100% hemp for the accent on toes and top.
- Compliment any home decor style and are the perfect gift this holiday season.
Custom-made just for you! Please allow 2-6 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about custom-order items.