The Autumn Equinox and False Fall
September 22nd marks the Autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere (and Spring equinox in the southern hemisphere). We’re feeling the cooler weather already, but I’m trying not to get too invested, because I do this every year. I think fall has arrived and I take down the window A/C unit and break out my sweatshirts. A week or two later, we’re back to 80-degree weather before fall really starts in earnest.
This is a phenomenon mostly talked about in the southern U.S., but it happens here in Minnesota too. It might surprise you, but our summers are hot… hotter than they should be for a place that also hits -30 degrees in winter. The position of the state makes it an unexpected humidity magnet.
“False Fall” is the result of a cold front sweeping southward from cooler climates and bringing cool weather along with it. It feels amazing but is always too brief. The warm weather is never far behind. Since the equinox is the 22nd, real Autumn shouldn’t be far, but here are some suggestions for ways to bridge that gap:
It seems like every season entails a cleaning. Is there no season where one can just let the grime settle, for once? I believe false fall holds the answer we’re looking for. Shut your windows. Hang up an air freshener and call it good. Push the junk back under your bed. Let the vacuuming go for one more day. Ignore the laundry pile for a little longer. It’s false fall, and I think we deserve one week to experience freedom from the oppressive cultural obligation of seasonal cleaning.
Nothing says “end of summer” like one last hurrah at the beach. And nothing says “beginning of fall” (in our unbiased opinion) like wearing a kilt! Soak up the last summer rays and get a Scotsman’s tan, where your body tans but your mid-knee to waist remains sun-free. Or take your kilt out on the water; just don’t machine-dry it. Kilts have lots of layers of fabric, so you might want to wear water wings for safety as well. Wearing a kilt to the beach for false fall is a good idea and nothing can go wrong*.
Have a home-harvest picnic
Summer seasonal foods are on their way out, and Fall harvest foods are on their way in. Can’t find anything in season? Host a “false fall” fridge cleanout picnic. Harvest the leftovers from your fridge, pack some antacids, grab a blanket, and have a picnic like no other. Maybe some foods are a little “off”, but didn’t our ancestors survive just fine without expiration dates? The modern-day harvest is only as far as your refrigerator!
*(Celtic Croft can’t be held responsible if it does, though.)
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
Reach back in Celtic history when you add this Claymore Sword Kilt Pin to your wardrobe
Made from solid pewter and plated with rhodium, then hand polished to create a lustrous shine
This piece measures 3.5 inches and draws the admiration of others without being ostentatious
Made in Scotland to assure quality and authenticity
A Scottish teatime with a pick me up of Bailey’s Salted fudge caramels, tea, and blossom honey, to start the day off right.
- Delicious fudge with the smooth taste of BAILEYS®. Brodies Scottish Breakfast Tes, and Scottish Blossom honey will make any breakfast or tea time great.
- With a rich history, each is made in Scotland from pure ingredients.
- Makes a great gift for yourself, a friend or a loved one
- luxurious Fudge, bright and brisk tea, finished with distinctively flavored honey. Meltingly delicious is the only way to describe this bundle
- Inspired by the movie Braveheart, the Braveheart Great Kilt’s tartan is woven in Scotland by the same weaver behind the kilts in the movie
- Choose between 4-, 5-, or 6-yards of tartan. For this custom-made piece, please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery
- The tartan is made from natural wool, featuring with earth-tone and natural colors for historical accuracy
- It boasts made-in-the-USA craftsmanship, with pleating instructions included–or opt for “Cheater Pleats”
- Made in Scotland
- 100% Wool Tweed
- Lovat Blue, Lovat Green, Forest Green, Standard Charcoal, Lochinver Charcoal
- Sizes 38-56 Short, Regular, or Long
- Larger Sizes Available upon Request
- Please allow 10-18 weeks for delivery