- SKU: LEBH
- Categories: Braveheart, Clans and Tartans, Clothing and Kilts, Earasaids, Ren Fair Collection, Seasonal Collections, Specialty Tartans
- Tags: Braveheart, Special-Order, Wool
Custom-Order. Please allow 3-6 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about custom-order items.
Obviously NOT the Braveheart Tartan pictured here. You could be our Braveheart Earasaid model! Please send us your photos! (Pictured is our friend Raywyn modeling her premium wool earasaid.)
The earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt. Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile. It can be worn long or short, for warmth or for style. The perfect compliment to any period costume. Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid.
Our Braveheart earasaid is made from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie Braveheart! The Braveheart tartan is very rustic, woven in natural wool and earth tones believed to be authentic to that period. Braveheart Tartan is woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your order. Please allow an extra week for delivery with this option.
Accessories For Your Earasaid
You’ll notice in many of the photos that the earasaid is usually worn with an underdress and a bodice. We are working on making these products available, but for now your best option is to make them yourself. We don’t sell patterns ourselves, but here are some we found that might be useful to you:
Renaissance Costume Pattern Collection (sizes 4-10)
Renaissance Costume Pattern Collection (sizes 12-20)
Easy Peasant Shirt/Chemise Pattern
Easy Renaissance Women’s Peasant Outfit Pattern
Easy Renaissance Girl’s Peasant Outfit Pattern
Irish/Scottish Woman’s Leine Pattern
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think...
Continue as a Guest
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Clan Crest Standard Sgian Dubh (sock knife) made in Scotland with over 100 clan crests to choose
- Quality craftsmanship, affordable and practical with a stainless steel blade
- Antiqued metal mounts and yellow (plastic) jewel top; fits nicely into kilt hose
- Chromed metal accents and Scottish thistle detailing (the symbol for nobility and courage)
Special-Order. Please allow 4-8 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about special-order items.
- Custom-order your Clan Crest Plaid Brooch for an enduring heirloom that your family will treasure for generations to come
- Made from the finest quality pewter and featuring an intricate Celtic Knot design, the brooch is expertly hand-crafted in Scotland
- Choose from over 200 clan crests and five different gem colors: blue, purple, yellow, green, or red
- 2 ⅞ inch diameter, its sturdy, high-quality pin back affixes to your sash or plaid
Custom-made just for you! Please allow 6-12 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about custom-order items.
- Braveheart double-width tartan and woven in Scotland by the same weaver as the movie
- Authentic to 13th century and woven in natural, rustic, earth-tones using medium weight (13 oz) 100% natural wool
- Great for crafts, reenactments, or use at Highland/Scotland/Celtic-themed events
- 61 inches wide with kilting selvages and priced per yard (less than a yard available upon request)
- Our authentic Tartan Glengarries—Spring Weight are custom-made in Scotland from your choice of over 500 tartans.
- They’re perfect for casual to formal occasions. Leave the ribbons untied for historical accuracy.
- Made with spring weight (8 oz) premium wool, they’re available in sizes small to extra large.
- These versatile pieces are made to be worn by men and women. The cap badge is not included.
- Due to supply issues in Scotland, some of these can take up to a year. If you place an order, we will get your hat to you as soon as it arrives from Scotland. Please know we appreciate your kind patience.
What others are saying
There are no contributions yet.