Welsh Dragon Pewter Kilt Belt Buckle
- SKU: ABBW01
- Categories: Featured, Highland Accessories, Kilt Belts and Buckles, Law and Fire, Military and Law Enforcement, Quality Kilt Belt Buckles, Welsh Tartans and Stuff
- Tags: Dragon, Made in Scotland, Pewter, Welsh
- Made in the UK
- Cast from lead-free pewter
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts
- Measures Approx. 4″ x 3″
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britain, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolize their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think...
Continue as a Guest
You may also like…
Update all similar products that you may like!
- Measures Approx. 2.75″ Squared
- Reads “Fire Rescue”
- Cross of Saint Florian
- Central Scramble Represents Preparedness
- Bugle Symbolizes Leadership
- Features a Halligan Bar, Helmet, Ladder, Bugle
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- 100% cast pewter kilt belt buckle.
- Made in the USA by Don McKee, world-renowned craftsman, for guaranteed quality and authentic design
- Hidden St. Andrew’s cross between Celtic knot designs. Eye-catching and personal details make this piece unique
- Harken back to Celtic history by wearing an interlacing Celtic knot with St. Andrew’s cross detail
- High-Quality Lead-Free Pewter
- Cast in Scotland
- Choice of 50+ Irish Family Names
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts
Usually in stock. Allow 8 weeks for delivery if out of stock.
- 3-inch wide kilt belt made from extra thick full-grain leather
- Strong and stylish solid brass buckle
- Perfect for use with any historic style kilt, choose between black or brown
- Available in sizes S-XXL to fit waists from 28 to 56 inches
- Hand-made in the USA
- One of our best-sellers with details inspired by Scotland, from the interlacing designs to the Triskele Celtic Knot Design
- Fine-quality Scottish craftsmanship, this cast pewter kilt belt buckle will fit all standard kilt belts (2.25 inches)
- Made in Scotland, it’s durable, solid and will last a lifetime
- Measures 3.75” x 3 inches, the perfect piece to complete your kilted outfit and connect to your Celtic roots
What others are saying
There are no contributions yet.