Add Cheater Pleats to Your Kilt!
Cheater Pleats™ are a nice convenience option. Your kilt will still look like you pleated it yourself, but you can take it off and put it back on any time you want to without redoing your pleats. (Depending on how concerned you are about the appearance, pleating your kilt can take anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour each time you wear it). we’ll pleat the kilt for you, and stitch in a hidden waistband to hold it together. Once you belt it on, no one will know you didn’t pleat it yourself!
Here are your choices and measurements needed:
Kilt Waist: Measure your waist size in inches, at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants. This will probably be 2-4 inches larger than your pants size.
Kilt Length: Measure from your waist to about the middle of the knee. Have someone help you! If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will be wrong.
Style of Pleats:
Pleat to sett – each pleat is positioned so that the pattern (sett) appears to continue through the pleated portion of the kilt.
Pleat to stripe – we choose a prominent stripe in the pattern and center the stripe down the middle of each pleat. This is a traditional military style, and can look very nice. Some tartans just don’t look good pleated to stripe however. If you choose this option we will let you know if it can’t (or shouldn’t) be done.’
Do Not Iron – Will give the appearance of a kilt just pleated by hand.
Lightly Iron – Will help shape the pleats but still look rustic.
Crisply Iron – Will defined the pleats and help with “the swoosh effect” of the kilt. Great for dancers, or for a more formal look.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Tartan Woven in Scotland
- Ancient Kilt Made in the USA
- Braveheart Style
- Perfect for Ren Faires/Fests
- Cool and Practical Design
- Ancient Highland Look
- Extra Long Apron to Use as a Fly Plaid
- Over 500 Tartans Available!
- 25-30″ Wide (The Length When Worn)
- Length of Fabric Cut to Your Measurements (To Fit Your Waist)
Our phillabegs (little kilt) are made in the USA from our medium weight premium wool tartan that is woven in Scotland. The Phillabeg is an early predecessor of today’s modern kilt, dating back to at least the late 1600’s. It is simply a length of tartan about 25″ wide and about 4 yds long, loosely bunched or pleated, and held about the waist with a belt. Perfect for Renaissance festivals, Renaissance weddings, casual wear, Irish fairs and Highland games.
- Cheater Pleats are Available
- Heavy weight (15/16 oz.) premium wool tartan
- 4 Yard (fits up to a 38″ waist) $499.00
- 5 Yard (fits up to a 48″ waist) $619.00
- 6 Yard (fits up to a 60″ waist) $739.00
- Homespun great kilt made in-house from our in-stock homespun poly/wool double width 52 inch-54 inch tartan; an authentic-looking option to a traditional woven kilt
- Customizable for your preferred size, shape, and desired pleats — 4 yards, 5 yards, and 6 yards available
- Double-width tartan provides added customizability—wrap it up over your shoulder in the rain or create folds to store your flask
- Add Cheater Pleats™ to keep things simple or feel the authenticity while you pleat it yourselves like your ancestors.
- 4 Yard (fits up to a 38-inch waist)
- 5 Yard (fits up to a 48-inch waist)
- 6 Yard (fits up to a 60-inch waist)