Obviously NOT the Braveheart Tartan pictured here. You could be our Braveheart Earasaid model! Please send us your photos! (Pictured is our friend Raywyn modeling her premium wool earasaid.)
The earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt. Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile. It can be worn long or short, for warmth or for style. The perfect compliment to any period costume. Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid.
Our Braveheart earasaid is made from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie Braveheart! The Braveheart tartan is very rustic, woven in natural wool and earth tones believed to be authentic to that period. Braveheart Tartan is woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your earasaid when you order.
Accessories For Your Earasaid
You’ll notice in many of the photos that the earasaid is usually worn with an underdress and a bodice. We are working on making these products available, but for now your best option is to make them yourself. We don’t sell patterns ourselves, but here are some we found that might be useful to you:
2.5 Yard, 3 Yard, 4 Yard
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Tartan made in Scotland by the same mill that created the Same tartans worn by your favorite Outlander characters. Choose between Outlander, Outlander Fraser, or Outlander MacKenzie
- Choose between three sizes: 2.5, 3 or 4 yards for this versatile, traditional dress that can be worn either long or short
- Pleating instructions provided or cheater’s pleats can be requested and is traditionally worn over an underdress
- Made with 100% premium wool
- The Light Weight Premium Wool Earasaid is made from either 10 or 11 oz wool. It’s ideal for warmer weather–comfortable and breathable
- Choose from hundreds of tartans woven in Scotland. The earasaid itself is made right here in the USA
- Made with 2.5-, 3-, or 4-yards of tartan, so you can style it to your preference: knee/calf length or full-floor length
- Traditionally worn over an underdress (not included), it’s the ladies equivalent of a great kilt
- Traditional Earasaid made with 100% wool tartan woven in Scotland
- Woven by the same weaver as the kilts in the movie Rob Roy with an authentic and rustic look
- Comes with pleating instructions for your convenience
- Custom-made for a perfect fit and cheater pleats available too
- The earasaid is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt
- Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile
- The perfect compliment to any period costume
- Available in 3 lengths 2.5 yrd, 3 yrd, 4 yrd