The Solstice is on the horizon this week, marking the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere!
To many, the day marks the beginning of cookouts, sports, and other “fun-in-the-sun” activities, though it has a deep cultural background attached to it.
Pagan religions of Europe also called this time “midsummer” or “Litha.” They marked the date in many ways, but most commonly known is with standing stones.
To celebrate, over 30,000 people will visit standing stones like Stonehenge in the UK, and the Callanish Stones in Scotland this week. Celebrations often centered on themes of growth, fertility, feasting, and merrymaking. It was told that if you were very lucky, you might even sight one of the faerie folk (or become the subject of their tricks!).
It also marks the decline in number of hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere, so be sure to soak up as much sun as possible!
Celebrate the tradition by having modern “feast” with some friends, or suit up in your utility kilt and search for the faerie folk at a National Park.
Keep an eye out for our sale and spotlight items of the week – they’ll be sure to show off your BBQ skills while helping you keep cool in the sun!
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- The Single Width Medium Weight Premium Fly Plaid is a tartan woven in Scotland and finished in the USA
- It features a luxurious and comfortable 100% premium, medium weight wool
- This 30-inch wide fly plaid matches our casual kilts, formal kilts, and phillabegs for a complete outfit
- Choose from 200+ ancient and modern tartans, both clan and non-clan
- Horseshoe Leather Pouch is a compact, horseshoe-shaped mixed leather pouch. It’s 6 inches deep and 5.25 inches across.
- Soft, flexible black leather body provides greater carrying capacity. Hard, protective brown leather casing protects against bumps, scrapes, and drops.
- Black leather drawstring closure offers easy access. Secure the straps to your belt for convenient, hands-free carrying.
- Pairs well with any Celtic outfit. Fasten to your gear to contain coins, small tools, or even flints and steels.
- The US Army 9 Yard Premium Wool Kilt is made by skilled kiltmakers in Scotland in the US Army tartan.
- Featuring hand-stitched pleats and 100% premium wool, it offers an enduring, sophisticated look, custom-made to your measurements.
- Made from 8-9 yards of US Army tartan, customize it further by choosing between light and medium-weight options.
- The lighter-weight kilt is ideal for warm-weather events, while the medium-weight tartan offers crisp, military-precision pleats.
- Made in Scotland and features famous Scottish symbols of the rampant lions and the saltire flag
- Crisp, clean design that allows the artistry to be clearly seen—a true quality statement piece
- Solid cast brass buckle with antiqued silver finish
- Measures 4 inches by 3 inches and is compatible with all standard kilt belts (2.25 inches wide)