The Veil Between Worlds
The Veil Between Worlds
I recently ran across an interesting series of Twitter posts from back in October that were assembled into graphics and posted to a Tumblr blog. The original Twitter user posted:
“The concept of “thin places” (where the ‘veil between worlds’ is thin) was even worse – deemed “ancient Celtic”, actually invented in 1938.” -Adrian Bott
He goes on to say that he is looking for the earliest reference that he can find that mentions the concept that Samhain was seen as the time of year when the “veil grows thin” and that he suspects it will be a modern reference. He presents an interesting theory that this idea of the veil actually arose out of the 19th century Spiritualism movement and has been pasted onto Celtic folk traditions: “The Spiritualist concept of the Veil, born of parlour room seances & now retrospectively cast as a key element of Samhain“. He claims the belief that the mortal and spirit worlds were divided by a veil doesn’t seem to appear in the original lore and that there was no need for the idea of the veil at the time since magic and spirits filled the world around them.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Fly the Rampant Lion Flag, the Banner of the King of Scots – a majestic tribute to Scotland’s rich history and tradition
- This 100% premium polyester flag measures 36 inches by 60 inches
- Hangs from two brass grommets on any standard flag pole
- Celebrate Scottish heritage anyplace – fly at home, football (soccer, for you Yanks) games, or display at the office
- Full of Celtic symbolism with the unique and detailed stag and Celtic knot design
- Measures 3.75 inches x 2.75 inches
- High-quality cast brass belt buckle with a chrome-plated finish also available in an antiqued finish
- Compatible with standard kilt belts (2.25 inches) and is solid and sturdy to complete any kilted outfit
- Available in over 80 tartans. Add some spice to your fall and winter outerwear with this set of two
- Made in the USA from 55/45 Poly/wool blend. The perfect addition to any closet.
- No matter the occasion, a Tam and Shawl will make an impression!
- The drawstring means no worrying if the Tam will fit.
- The Tartan Shawl measures 54” x 54” for durable practicality and warmth
- Kilt hose made with quality wool, acrylic, and nylon blend for your comfort
- Choose between nine colors to match all your favorite kilts
- Available in small, medium, large, and XL for all sizes
- Fits even large calves up to 18 inches