How to Help Your Community Through The Coronavirus Pandemic
The world has never been closer than it is now, at least in our lifetime. Yes, there have been pandemics in the past. But never before have we been able to glimpse into other people’s struggle while trying to survive in our own community.
No matter whether you live in the bustling Twin Cities, call a rural community home or live all the way in Scotland, this outbreak is likely affecting your daily life. If you’re lucky, you are scrambling for toilet paper, among other necessities. Others are not and know someone directly impacted by COVID-19.
If you’re sitting at home, you might be wondering how you can help during this unprecedented time. Maybe you’re scared as you see your favorite local places close temporarily or even permanently.
Luckily, as a community, we have the power to impact our community, even while social distancing. At The Celtic Croft, we have felt the effects of this disease as it spreads across our country.
We want to encourage you to make an effort to support all of the local businesses around you. Also, we want everyone to take heart. We will get through this working together.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus, is a novel virus that is highly contagious and is having dire effects on the lungs. It is called COVID-19 because it is the coronavirus disease of 2019. It was first discovered in Wuhan, China, in 2019. Coronavirus is novel because it has never before been transmitted to humans
While many people think it is a bad flu, and in a sense it is, the mortality rate, particularly among certain parts of the population, is very high. Even though most people won’t die from
COVID-19, so many people will get it that it will drastically affect most people in the world.
To battle this disease, many cities, counties, states, and countries throughout the world have instituted “Stay-in-Place” measures or even Lockdown orders. While this may seem extreme, the idea is to slow the spread of COVID-19, thus allowing hospitals to handle the significant numbers of sick people.
By staying home and avoiding contact with other people, the transmission rate is drastically slowed. Even though the same number of people may eventually get it, the peak will be spread out.
Of course, these types of orders have massive impacts on our community. Businesses are being affected, people are losing their jobs, and many are scared. The ripple effect of these policies will spread wide, and the world will feel them for a long time to come.
How to Support Local Businesses?
So, you might be wondering what you can do to help your community and those around you who are adversely affected by the “Stay-in-Place” orders. We all know Amazon and Wal-Mart will be fine. In fact, they’re hiring to keep up with the rush of shoppers!
Unfortunately, many of our local favorites, from restaurants to shops to galleries, are going to struggle immensely, if they even make it through this pandemic. Because many small businesses are not deemed “essential,” they have to close their doors temporarily. Even two or three weeks closed can be devastating to a small business.
Luckily, each community has the power to save our local businesses. By taking a few intentional decisions every day, you could save your favorite restaurant or the shop down the street.
- Buy a Gift Card. If there is a restaurant or shop you love but are unable to patron them at the moment, buy a gift card! That way, they will still have some money coming in for essential things, like rent and payroll, and you can get a treat after this is over.
- Pay for Services in Advance. If there are services you plan on using down the road, schedule, and pay for them now! You will likely need a haircut appointment to fix the quarantine DIY haircut you attempted… Pay your stylist or barber now, and schedule your appointment down the road.
- Skip Cooking. You don’t have to twist my leg here. It’s hard enough to find food as it is at the store. Why not get a meal delivered, or pick one up each week? Most families are used to eating out at least once a week, anyway. Many restaurants who didn’t use to focus on to-go are likely available for food to pick up now, call and ask.
- Be a Good Tipper. Throw an extra 10% or so on top of your usual tip. These hourly workers will be some of the hardest hit throughout this, and a little extra from each customer could go a long way.
- Don’t Ask for a Refund. Were you planning on a show at the theatre? Don’t ask for your money back. Consider your ticket purchase to a canceled show a donation to the arts.
- Be Kind. Don’t forget what your momma told you! Always be kind to people–especially those still having to work. Don’t get mad at the store clerk who is just trying to get through their shift. Smile and wave, of course from a safe distance.
- Buy Local. Yes, Wal-Mart or Amazon might be easier and more likely to have all or most of what you need in one place. But, try to shop local whenever you can. Hit up the local grocery store. Order books from the local bookstore to read during the quarantine. Get a cake or a pie from the local bakery (you know you will be snacking more). Supporting these local places makes it much more likely they are still around after this settles down.
How is The Celtic Croft Handling COVID-19?
While much of our business is online, we are still feeling the effects of this panic. We have had to close our showroom and now rely solely on our online sales. We are offering free shipping to our customers in Minnesota.
Even though we have had to close the showroom, our entire staff is dedicated to ensuring all orders are efficiently processed. We have shipments going out the door every day.
Scotland and the great United Kingdom is going under quarantine which will affect the processing and shipping times for some of our products. However, many of our suppliers are working with us to ensure all of our orders get to us quickly.
Many of our customers had questions about how to handle a rented kilt for a now-canceled event. We are working with each of those customers to ensure they still have an authentic kilt to wear to their event, whenever it is rescheduled.
Please visit our website to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media to get the most up to date information. We are working hard to keep all of our customers in the loop. Of course, we are open for calls and emails as needed.
We hope you and your family stay safe throughout this time. We appreciate your continued support and thank you for supporting our business along with other small businesses throughout your community.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Shawl made from tartan woven in Scotland
- Lightweight and made from a durable and comfortable poly/viscose blend
- Measures approximately 56 inches by 56 inches and is versatile to wear different ways
- Affordable, durable option made with hypoallergenic acrylic fiber makes the Irish Tartan AcryliKilt a perfect first kilt that is easy to care for
- This cool and lightweight kilt in Irish tartan is an ideal choice for summer months and for those with an active lifestyle
- Tough with a high-quality appearance, this kilt is made for versatility. It includes belt loops, three straps, and a buckle
- This kilt comes with our Right Fit™ Guarantee, meaning an affordable, comfortable, and well-fitting kilt is within reach
- Made in Wales
- Medium Weight Tartan (12/13oz.)
- 100% Premium Wool
- Measures Approx. 60″ x 60″
- Several Welsh Tartans Available